Friday, October 14, 2011

Taking It Easy

This week has been one long, continuous blur, until today.  Today it seemed like everyone just melted into their routines with slack ambition - just enough to get through the essentials, and, then, like rivulets running downhill after a deluge ends, we created little tracks that ran into our own refreshing pools of play and thought.  I felt a bit guilty for it, but I think it is a false impression that rises from sudden breaks in activity.  Anyway, it's what we did - we played!  And rested.  And tonight we attended the Parent-Teen ministry at our church.  I had not really wanted to go anywhere, but experience has taught me that just showing up at church can alter my perspective and renew my soul in ways that other activities cannot do.  It has something to do with God's Word, it's clear instruction.  From it I drink like the porous sand sucking in the ocean.  Even just a few verses flowing like cold water into my being, and I am made well:

"The law of the Lord is perfect, restoring the soul;
"The testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple.
"The precepts of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart;
"The commandment of the Lord is pure; enllightening the eyes.
"The fear of the Lord is clean, enduring forever;
"The judgments of the Lord are true; they are righteous altogether."  (Psalm 19:7-9)

No comments: